If you are planning to clean your yoga blocks and wondering about How To Clean Yoga Blocks, you are on the right page. We talk about a few simple DIY ways which you can easily follow at home.
We will start with the basics and slowly get into details of cleaning your blocks according to their material and make.
Cleaning Your Yoga Props are not Difficult
Yoga props require regular cleaning just like your yoga gear. Like you clean your yoga mat, it is essential that you clean your yoga blocks too, to get rid of the sweat and odor it attracts from your body. However, cleaning yoga blocks is not so harassing or difficult as it may sound.
But one thing must be remembered that the material of the yoga block determines the way you should clean them.
For example, you cannot clean a foam yoga block in the same way you would clean a wood one. Therefore, each and every material of yoga blocks demands special requirements for cleaning.
Whether you are a beginner, a seasoned yoga practitioner or a yoga instructor, we very well understand the importance of yoga blocks. Yoga blocks provide us with support, balance, alignment and of course proper positioning of the body.
Yoga blocks help the most to those who are recovering from an injury and those who are attempting to do some challenging poses.
So, in a nutshell, we can say that yoga blocks are extremely useful as they provide us with extension, flexibility, and support to execute difficult yoga postures.
With frequent use, it is quite natural that they will get dirty and attract germs from our sweat and also become stinky. To get rid of all of these nasty and unwanted things, all you need to do is clean them on a regular basis and keep them fresh.
Cleaning the Yoga Blocks Based on their Materials
Yoga blocks are made of a variety of materials like EVA Foam, Cork and Wood. And each of these materials must be cleaned in specific ways. So, your first and foremost step should be to check the manufacturing tag for special instructions.
How to clean Foam Yoga Blocks:
The foam yoga blocks are made of a special kind of foam known as the EVA Foam. The EVA Foam is highly dense in nature and is also created in an advanced way to make it moisture and bacteria resistant. In spite of this feature, it is advisable that you clean your foam yoga block regularly.
For this, you would require: Mild Dishwashing Soap, A tub of water, A cloth/ towel to clean
Mix a few drops of dishwashing soap in the water and dip the cloth in the water solution.
Remove the excess water from the cloth and rub it on the block to remove the superficial dust and stains.
Once done, set them under the sun to dry completely.
If you think that the blocks are really dirty and they require a thorough wash, you can even put them in the washing machine to clean but make sure that you use mild laundry soap and not the harsh detergent.
hen set them out to dry. It is always better to air dry foam blocks because it helps to dry them from within as foam absorbs as much moisture as it can retain.
For stubborn stains, you can even use club soda to remove it.
How to Clean Cork Yoga Blocks
Cork is an eco-friendly, natural and sustainable material and therefore it requires a special cleaning procedure and technique.
ProTip: You do not require soap of any kind to clean your cork yoga blocks.
All you need is a clean wet cloth to clean the dirt and the stains. In case of stubborn stains, just us a mild organic cleanser and you are good to go.
How to Clean Wood Yoga Blocks
Wood is another natural, eco-friendly and sustainable material that is used to make yoga blocks. These blocks are the hardest of all the other yoga blocks and are primarily used by seasoned yoga practitioners to increase strength.
Wood yoga blocks are the easiest to clean as they do not retain stubborn stains.
All you need is a wet cloth and use that to wipe off the dirt and superficial stains. However, you must make sure not to use excess water to clean them.
This is because wood soaks in water and it takes a longer time to dry and if not dried properly then it might soften and crumble the wood from within.
So, here are the three various methods by which you can clean yoga blocks and each of them is specific to the materials they are made of.
Let us share a few tips with you which you need to keep in mind while cleaning yoga blocks.
10 Pro Tips You Must Remember
1. Always use a mild dishwashing or liquid soap or even laundry detergent to wash yoga blocks. Regular washing with hard detergent soap might destroy the yoga blocks over time.
2. Instead of soap, you can even choose to clean them with tea tree oil. Tea tree oil is a natural and organic disinfectant which is easily available at your local health food store. It kills those germs and bacteria just like any soap would plus it makes your concern for the environment justified.
3. For stubborn stains use a wet cloth dipped in soap and water solution by rubbing on the surface. However, make sure you rub it in a circular motion which will help you to get rid of the stain quickly and perfectly. Later, rinse it with water.
4. Always air dry yoga blocks. This dries them up from within. Try and avoid drying them in the dryer at all.
5. If the stain is too stubborn to wear off with water and soap solution you can even try removing the stains with club soda or vinegar. But never use them raw. Always dilute them with water before use. Using them raw might corrode the material.
6. Hand washing is always advisable over machine washing. If you are using mild soap, then make sure that you do not use too much of it.
7. Before setting it out to air-dry be sure to absorb the excess water with a dry towel or else the material will end up absorbing the excess water and eventually not dry up from within.
8. While air-drying always makes sure that it has dried completely. Even the slightest bit of water will damage your yoga block over time.
9. Try not to wash them with every use. Wash them only when you think that they have started looking grim, or smell bad or if it has been stained in some way. Again, washing them too frequently will damage the blocks- irrespective of which material it is made of.
10. Instead of hand cleaning if you want to clean them in the washing machine, remember to put it on a gentle cycle. This works for foam yoga blocks. Never put yoga blocks made of cork or wood in the washing machine.
The hard surfaces can damage your machine and also destroy your yoga blocks.
So these are the tips that will help you to keep your yoga blocks clean and germ-free and will last for a longer period of time. Share this with your fellow yogis and tell them these methods and tips about how to clean yoga blocks!
Have a wonderful time practicing yoga and relax from inside. There cannot be anything more relaxing and calming than this. We all agree on that note, right?
Do not forget to read our article on
|What Are Yoga Blocks Made Of?|
|What Are Yoga Blocks Used For?|